What is web scraping?
Web Scraping (also termed Screen Scraping, Web Data Extraction, Web Harvesting etc.) is a technique employed to extract large amounts of data from websites whereby the data is extracted and saved to a local file in your computer or to a database in table (spreadsheet) format.
If you want to make money with the knowledge of web scraping, you create a bot that successfully gets the valuable data you wished for, then sell the data or bot, or use it to buy or sell or make money on betting via sure bet.
There are some ways to make money using web scraping without selling data: Sport Arbitrage, Stock market, eCommerce, Niche News Aggregation (pick a niche, like celebrity news sites, scrape the top 10 sites, etc), Daily News (pay for a subscription to get past major site paywalls, then make the data free or discounted),Offline, intranet, or hard-to-access data, Lead Generation, Machine learning (Google images), Price monitoring (Ebay), Lead generation (Yelp) [scraping contact info for local biz], Market research (Brewdog) [scraping types of beer and their ratings, for example), App Development (Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent | realtor.com®) [I can only assume scraping realty data and copying it], Academic Research (Techcrunch), Find Relevant Top Hashtags, etc…
Scraping data from betting sites is a good way to make money because you don’t have to sell data you obtained, but only use that data in your favor. If you never scraped a betting site, I recommend you first check my step by step tutorial Scraping a Betting Site in 10 Minutes where I show the basics of scraping a bookmaker.
It doesn’t matter what sports you like; chances are you or someone you know at least once earned some money betting on their favorite team. You might’ve won because of good luck or knowledge of the sport, but probably you’ve also lost because you can’t always guess what’s going to happen in the future. But what if you could make a profit regardless of the match outcome? This is called ‘surebet’ and isn’t new in the gambling world.
Surebet is a situation when a bettor can make a profit regardless of the outcome by placing one bet per each outcome with different bookmakers. This happens when different bookmakers have different odds for the same game due to either bookmakers’ differing opinions (statistics) on event outcomes or errors. We can find those errors by scraping different bookmakers.
If you decided to make money with surebets, keep this in mind:
Avoid ‘account limitation’: Bookmakers, in general, dislike people who are good at gambling (no matter how they win); that’s why some people who earn money in betting sites get limitations. This means that you’d only bet a maximum amount of money per event set by the bookmaker — $5, $10, etc. If you start getting money with surebets, you may be seen as a ‘good bettor.’ To appear like an average person under bookmakers’ radars, experience bettors do this:Use many bookmakers: Create accounts in different bookmakers and spread your bets around them. It’ll be harder to identify you as a smart player in this way.
Round your stake: Although in the example I gave, I used decimal numbers; you shouldn’t do this just because most people don’t bet like that. Avoid decimal numbers at any cost and do your best to round your stake to the nearest number of five. If the formula gives you $47, then bet either $45 or $50 instead.
Do not make unnecessary withdrawals from a bookmaker: After you get some money don’t try to cash out right away or withdraw big amounts at once, this may arouse suspicion.
Avoid betting on smaller markets: Not many people bet on less popular sports like table tennis or water polo, so making money here would be suspicious. Mix up small and large markets.
Remember that limited accounts can still withdraw money. Hopefully, with the tips above, you’ll avoid limitations for a good time.
Finally, these are some markets where surebets happen often:Hand to Hand (Win or lose sports like tennis, baseball, etc.)
Both teams to score
Over / Under
Lets say you want to find the price of an item on an eCommerce website. Normally, you will visit the website, search for the item and then scroll until you find the item.
But now let’s say you want to do this for thousands of items, perhaps across multiple websites. Maybe you are starting your own business and you want to keep track of the going prices for a variety of items. Manually checking prices on all of them is going to be very time consuming. To help you do this work faster, you can write a web scraper.
So how does this work?
When you visit a website with your browser, a server sends you some files, and the browser then renders them into pages that look nice and are easy for a human to use (hopefully). But you don’t need a browser to ask for those files. You can also write a computer program that requests those files. A web scraper (usually) will not render those files into pretty, usable pages, but instead load them into a format that makes them easy for a machine to read extremely quickly.
At that point, you can scan all of the files for all of the prices, and do whatever you like with them. You could average them and output a number. Or output the minimum and maximum prices. Or output the prices of the highest rated listings for whatever product you are curious about. Or feed the numbers to a graphing library that visualizes the data. Or put them into an Excel sheet. The possibilities are endless!
Some websites are hostile to this practice, however, and make you jump through hoops to prove that you are a real user and not a computer program. This makes sense, because too many webscrapers crawling all over your website can slow your site down or crash it. It’s also a way for competitors to get real time data about you, and you may want to make it more difficult for them to do so.
Stock markets tend to react very quickly to a variety of factors such as news, earnings reports, etc. While it may be prudent to develop trading strategies based on fundamental data, the rapid changes in the stock market are incredibly hard to predict and may not conform to the goals of more short term traders. This study aims to use data science as a means to both identify high potential stocks, as well as attempt to forecast future prices/price movement in an attempt to maximize an investor’s chances of success. Read more…
Lead Generation is crucial for any business, without new leads to fill your sales funnel it’s impossible to acquire your customers and grow your company. Some businesses garner a lot of inbound interest so PPC or social media ads may be enough to generate leads. But what if your product or service is something that most people don’t specifically search for? This might be a new technology, a niche product or B2B services where very few people might use a search engine to find you. Read more ….
The good thing about this code is that you do not need to log into any Instagram account. Anyone can access publicly available posts on Instagram using the hashtag. For example if you want to see the posts for the hashtag #newyork, you can do so by using the following URL:
- Don’t Hard Code Session Cookies:
So what should you do instead? Code your program to login and use the sessions to ensure your cookies get sent with every request!
s = requests.Session()
s.post("https://fakewebsite.com/login", login_data)for url in url_list:
response = s.get(url)
It takes just a little extra work but it will save you time from having to constantly update the code.
- Don’t DOS Websites: Not that type of DOS. I mean Denial Of Service. If you don’t think you are doing this you should read this section because I’m about to blow your mind. Writing a for loop to access a website is a DOS.
- Don’t Copy and Paste Reusable Code
- Don’t Write Single Threaded Scrapers: Note that more threads doesn’t always mean better performance. This is because all these threads live on the same core. Confusing I know but this is something you will likely come across in testing.
- Don’t Use the Same Pattern for Scraping: Many websites will ban you if you do the same thing over and over again. There are some strategies you can use to circumvent this.
Web scraping doesn’t have to be hard. The best thing you can do for yourself is build good tools that you can reuse and your web scraping life will be much easier. If you need assistance with a web scraping project feel free to reach out to me on twitter as I do consulting.
Wordometers is a website that provides data on live world statistics, and is the website we are going to scrape. Specifically we are going to scrape world population data that is in a table (seen below). Scraping data from a table is one of the most used forms of web scraping because most often then not the data we need in tables are not downloadable. So instead of getting the data manually we let a computer do it in mere seconds.
Beautiful Soup is one of the most powerful web scraping libraries and in my opinion the easiest to learn which is why were going to use it.
You can first extract images URLs (where the image is stored on the website) using Octoparse (a coding-free visual web scraping tool), and then download the images using image downloaders.
Online OCR Software
There are a few convenient and useful OCR tools in the Text Scanner such as below:
1. Images OCR
2. Screenshot OCR
3. Table OCR
4. Scanner/Digital Camera
All the OCR tools above can provide a different type of OCR conversions to help users from different file formats on different devices.
1. Extract Text from PDF.
2. Extract Text from Image.
3. Extract Text from Screenshot.
4. Extract Excel from Image.
5. Scan Text from Camera or Scanner.
Web Scraping – Python Breaking News
- Passive Income Ideas 2022by Ankushruhela (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 28, 2022 at 11:10 am
Automated revenue creative ways to make money thoughts for understudies are extraordinary open money making ideas doors for understudies…Continue reading on Medium »
- Scrape football Tweets using Snsscraper and Pythonby Paul Corcoran (Scraping on Medium) on May 27, 2022 at 1:47 pm
There are numerous libraries to scrape twitter, Tweepy and Twint are among the most popular but in my humble opinion what works best is…Continue reading on Medium »
- 不用寫程式！銷售分析不求人，用Octoparse爬蟲蝦皮，推測競爭對手營收by Wan Chung Huang (Scraping on Medium) on May 27, 2022 at 9:26 am
不用寫程式抓取電商公開資料Continue reading on 數據分析那些事 »
- How To Start Scrap Metal Businessby rizwan sodager (Scraping on Medium) on May 27, 2022 at 9:02 am
Your Step-By-Step Guide to Starting Your Own Recycling & Metal scrap Business All you wishto urge started could be atruck or van! No…Continue reading on Medium »
- Here are some things to think about before establishing a side hustle.by Elijah Davis (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 26, 2022 at 9:49 pm
Side hustles are becoming increasingly popular as a means of supplementing one’s income.Continue reading on Medium »
- How to Extract a Shopify Store Data to Google Sheets?by Retailgators (Scraping on Medium) on May 26, 2022 at 6:22 am
If you want to extract Shopify store data to have product prices, reviews, as well as other data, you might do that yourself with a Google…Continue reading on Medium »
- Is Money More Important Than Love?by Vahn Chobanian (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 26, 2022 at 1:13 am
Countless people have become slaves of Internet marketing. Everyone needs money to survive. But is publishing rubbish the way to do it?Continue reading on ILLUMINATION »
- Best Ways To Make Money In 2022by Utsav Akash Naskar (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 25, 2022 at 11:33 pm
The money you make is a symbol of the value you create. ~ Idowu KoyenikanContinue reading on Medium »
- Scraping World’s Top 250 Movie Data from IMDBby Amriteshwar Dwivedi (Scraping With Python on Medium) on May 25, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Using Requests, Beautiful Soup, PandasContinue reading on Medium »
- BEST CAPTCHA PROXIES IN 2022by Shahzaib Chadhar (Scraping on Medium) on May 24, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Are you looking for the best captcha proxies to avoid Google recaptcha? If yes, you’ve found the right article. Keep on reading!Continue reading on Medium »
- Best React Native Project Ideas for Startupsby Ryan Miller (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 24, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Looking for the best React Native project ideas that can shape your startup into a successful business? Here are the 8 best React Native…Continue reading on Medium »
- Clearview: scraping the barrelby Enrique Dans (Scraping on Medium) on May 24, 2022 at 9:29 am
Clearview AI is a US facial recognition company, which since its founding in 2017 has spent its time scraping a multitude of services on…Continue reading on Enrique Dans »
- How I tested the Hungarian Election for fraud using Benford’s lawby Jens Fuglsang Ringsholm (Scraping on Medium) on May 23, 2022 at 7:57 pm
I tested several datasets using Benford’s law and learned about the advantages and pitfalls.Continue reading on Towards Data Science »
- Free ETH Arbitrage up to 6 ETH every Monthby Watcher.Guru (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 23, 2022 at 10:23 am
Flashloan ETHContinue reading on Medium »
- Using Selenium in Docker/Cloud/WSL2 with Pythonby Gagandeep Singh (Scraping on Medium) on May 23, 2022 at 6:26 am
Let’s learn how you can scrap dynamic websites using selenium inside DockerContinue reading on Medium »
- The Easiest Way to Make $500– $1000by Syeda Madiha A. (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 22, 2022 at 7:20 pm
I am not kidding here — it is what it isContinue reading on Medium »
- 3 Easy ways to make money (80$-100$ per hour)by FriddlePie (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 21, 2022 at 7:29 am
Money, we are all looking forward to becoming rich if not the richest, with no doubt these 5 ways will make u some dollars in hours. The…Continue reading on Medium »
- How to generate your first affiliate saleby Junaid Ahmed (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 21, 2022 at 4:38 am
By digifying.comContinue reading on Medium »
- Watch most on YouTube! Gift more on YouTube!by Wireframesbacklink (Money Making Ideas on Medium) on May 19, 2022 at 7:16 am
YouTube introduces a modish feature of gifting membership by existing members of a channel to new members. The new feature helps numerous…Continue reading on Medium »
- What are the Benefits of Web Scraping Hospitality Data?by 3i Data Scraping (Scraping With Python on Medium) on May 18, 2022 at 10:46 am
We all need our business to get succeed. In case, you are in a hospitality business, you need to hit targets as well as exceed them. You…Continue reading on Medium »
- Scraping all the metadata and images in a NFT projectby Tim van Iersel (Scraping With Python on Medium) on April 29, 2022 at 1:41 pm
How can you scrape all the metadata and images in an NFT project in case of a rug-pull?Continue reading on Medium »
- Getting started with Playwright | Scraping a basic webpage with Playwright in Python.by Animesh Singh (Scraping With Python on Medium) on April 27, 2022 at 1:52 am
The playwright is a fairly new web testing tool from Microsoft introduced to let users automate webpages more efficiently with fewer…Continue reading on Medium »
- Why you need proxies for web scrapingby Neha Setia Nagpal (Scraping With Python on Medium) on April 11, 2022 at 7:51 am
Before we begin, take a look at this short video — it’s the scene from Harry Potter where he gets The Invisibility Cloak. It’ll help us…Continue reading on Medium »
- The 5 Most Expensive NFTs Sold Everby 3i Data Scraping (Scraping With Python on Medium) on April 1, 2022 at 1:12 pm
NFTs, or Non-Fungible Tokens, are distinctive digital objects, which have a definite value depending on the object’s individuality. Web…Continue reading on Medium »
- Hierarchical Web Scraping With Pythonby Jonathan Joyner (Scraping With Python on Medium) on March 29, 2022 at 10:42 pm
One of the more difficult tasks when web scraping is dealing with hierarchical data. That is, data that lives on different pages.Continue reading on The Dev Project »
- Web Scraping With Python for Beginnersby Jonathan Joyner (Scraping With Python on Medium) on March 29, 2022 at 5:45 pm
A guide to using Requests and BeautifulSoup on HTML pagesContinue reading on The Dev Project »
- Hierarchal Clustering for the English Premier League in Pythonby Paul Corcoran (Scraping With Python on Medium) on March 21, 2022 at 11:05 pm
Can the stats tell us what teams are similiar in style/performance?Continue reading on Medium »
- What Is The Ultimate Guide To Scrape Reviews Online?by ReviewGators (Scraping With Python on Medium) on March 10, 2022 at 6:10 am
Read the code mentioned in the blog and easily scrape the required data in the format you want.Continue reading on Medium »