You can translate the content of this page by selecting a language in the select box.
What are specific Things to do to build more diverse technical teams?
- 1. Start at the junior high school level in poor neighborhood by helping schools to teach minority kids how to code.
- 2. Help set up computer labs in junior high school in poor neighborhoods so that kids who cannot afford the equipment can use the lab.
- 3. Start coding challenges with prizes in those high school neighborhood and make the kids feel confident about their abilities.
- 4. Get successful minorities entrepreneurs to host the kids and give them tours of their companies and offices and projects to inspire them.
- 5. Give internships to minorities kids starting in high school.
- 6. For the kids in senior high school who missed early adoption to coding, speed them up with after hours coding classes to prepare them for college.
- 7. In college, make the minority kids feel welcome. Try to make them part of all activities ( computer related or not).
- 8. For the kids in senior high school who missed early adoption to coding, speed them up with after hours coding classes to prepare them for college.
- 9. In college, make the minority kids feel welcome. Try to make them part of all activities ( computer related or not). Help find internships from top IT firms (Google, Apple, IBM, etc.) for minorities.
- 10. When minorities start working after college, welcome them in the team and trust them. Don’t just invite certain kids to dinner and golf. It makes minorities feel unappreciated and unwanted.
- 11. Give minorities the same opportunity of advancement at work with other employees.
- 12. Inclusion, inclusion, inclusion in every aspect of the company is the key.
- Assess the progress of your efforts and adjust. Make sure that team leads or managers are open minded people and make it a priority for them to build diverse teams, because in the long run, it will be a win win for the company
There are several specific things that organizations can do to build more diverse technical teams:
- Review and revise hiring practices: Organizations can review and revise their hiring practices to ensure that they are not biased against certain groups. This can include using standardized job applications, using objective criteria for evaluating candidates, and diversifying the pool of candidates by actively recruiting from underrepresented groups.
- Offer employee resources and support: Organizations can offer resources and support to employees from underrepresented groups to help them succeed and thrive in their roles. This can include providing access to mentorship, networking opportunities, and professional development resources.
- Promote diversity and inclusion: Organizations can make a concerted effort to promote diversity and inclusion within the company culture. This can include training employees on unconscious bias, fostering an inclusive workplace culture, and supporting diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Measure and track diversity: Organizations can measure and track diversity within their technical teams to identify areas where they can improve. This can include collecting and analyzing data on the demographics of their employees, and setting diversity and inclusion goals and targets.
By taking these specific steps, organizations can work towards building more diverse technical teams and creating a more inclusive workplace culture.