Apple don’t want that to happen.
Not because they want to extract more money from hardware sales (Apple hardware is actually cheap for the quality you get anyway), not because they wouldn’t sell OS X as a product if they could.
It’s really simple: they did the math on the support costs of random third party hardware, and the numbers came up “nope”.
Apple actually did this long before OS X was a thing; for a short while you could actually get a licensed non-Apple MacOS computer.
But the support costs killed it.
To actually do this and make money, they’d have to sell OS X for a couple of thousand dollars, or maybe a subscription at about $50/month. That’s to pay for the three or four thousand developers and ten or so thousand support people they’d have to hire to deal with all the random crap hardware out there.
And it still wouldn’t meet their quality targets anyway.
So how can Microsoft do it?
They get the OEMs and hardware manufacturers to deal with most of it. Which they mostly do badly, but people have somehow become used to the resulting mess.
Making the OS itself free does mean that they don’t want people to install it on third party hardware because that would mean zero profits from the extra user (unless they use services such as iCloud in a premium fashion — more than just what’s given free).
I guess that makes the hackintoshing phenomenon an issue. Now, when the support for the last Intel based Mac ends hackintoshing will be a real issue (I mean, some explicitly limit themselves to High Sierra because of some NVidia GPUs that aren’t supported on newer versions at all…). But for now, if you have good, compatible hardware, you can reap the benefits just fine.
I am currently a hackintosher but intend to get an actual MacBook Pro (Intel based) soon. Wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t get a good hackintosh. So I’d say, don’t fight those who try it out like this and then migrate to actual Apple products, since that’s actually a profit vector. Only fight those that do it despite that.
The better question to ask is “How does Linux do it?”. You can find drivers for most of “the random crap hardware out there”… You can “google yourself” the support for most of the issues you’d run into, unlike Windows, etc. Support is a “thing” mostly for corporate users. Companies need someone to sue in case they’d somehow lose a penny because of hw/sw issues.
Using Windows would be much better than hackintoshing. Windows has its issues, it is not as reliable as macOS. However, Windows is much more flexible than macOS. It is much more programmer friendly than macOS. Most of the advantages of macOS will cease to exist once you take it out of the integration with Apple hardware.
You can, not so easily, run the OSX on a windows machine as you would run a second version of windows or Linux or any other OS. My current machine has around 4 different OS in 2 drives. The machine was originally assembled keeping in mind running it on OSX, endearingly known by the community as Hackintoshs. I did run an OSX version of Snow Leopard for a few months but didn’t have much use of it as I already own a MacBook Pro. A fun project but not without hastles.
Also, I did shift my 10+ year old MacBooks drive into the machine, before writing this reply, just for fun. Given the changes over time, the OSX failed to recognise half the peripherals which is solvable, but would need a lot of work.
You can. Such computers are called a “Hackintosh.” The procedure is totally unsupported, but I suppose it can save the user some money, when it works.
It’s not that it can’t. It’s a violation of the end-user license. If you’d like to give a try, just google out Hackintosh. I am not aware of any prosecution if you do. Definitely nothing like the infamous Microsoft initiated BSA raids on companies and individual users.
- فعالسازی Find My iPhone در آیفونby Banino pc (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
آموزش ردیابی گوشی های آیفونContinue reading on Medium »
- Where is the virtual reality market heading?by Enrique Dans (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 10:42 am
The virtual reality market, which consists largely of the sale of viewers, is dominated by Meta and its Oculus devices, which would allow…Continue reading on Enrique Dans »
- The Biggest Problem With Androidby Sergio Alberto Romero, M.S. (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 9:30 am
I need to start out by saying that, I truly love Android. I’ve been an Android user since Android 2.2 Froyo (Back when we had cooler…Continue reading on Medium »
- Would like to know how to make a drop-down list for a specific column in Numbersby /u/Key-Comparison3766 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 8:57 am
So I was thinking of making a sheet using numbers and since I am new to it I am unaware of what it can do. I want to create a column under which the user should only be able to input words that are available to them. For example here, I am creating a column named 'category'. Under this, I want to be able to only select from options that would have been made earlier i.e. Borrowed Money, Income, Food, Travel, Friends, Groceries, Cash out, Personal Items, etc. I also want this column to be connected to a Pie chart. submitted by /u/Key-Comparison3766 [link] [comments]
- Had a good laugh todayby /u/Tech-Dictator (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 8:29 am
submitted by /u/Tech-Dictator [link] [comments]
- M1 air battery helpby /u/Desizeus (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 8:24 am
I got a M1 MacBook air 15 days ago and only used it for Netflix and videos until 2 days ago when I started working on it. My work is just article writing with 6-10 tabs open on Safari. The battery was unbelievably good with netflix but ever since I started writing it goes by much faster, often 2-3% in 10-15 mins, is that normal? i make sure all other apps are closed, brightness under or around 50 and unnecessary features off. submitted by /u/Desizeus [link] [comments]
- Revive my aging laptop?by /u/Insomniella (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 8:07 am
I have a 2013 MacBook Pro, i5, 8GB and it has a mounting series of problems. If I keep it on for too long, it forgets the webcam exists until I restart, the wifi connection goes out or can’t load websites, iCloud and messages freeze or crash, etc. It also has a variety of cruft on it - Java installs from an old job and who knows what else. I’ve been covering the 14” pros and might just take the leap, but I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to do a reset or reinstall on my existing laptop. I have a new fancy work laptop (just got a 16” Max) and a nice iPad so I’m able to handle a lot of what I want to do, but I try to keep my personal life off my work laptop for compliance reasons and there’s enough life things going on that I’d really like a computer to handle them. The old laptop still holds a good battery charge, the chassis and everything is in good shape, and when it works it works well - in many ways it feels like it has held up better than some newer machines I’ve used. And Apple is only gonna give me $40 to trade it in. But it’s just too unreliable as is. Is it worth doing some kind of reset/reinstall? Any other creative ideas? Or can you help me justify taking the plunge and spending away on my next laptop (which will also hopefully last nine years)? submitted by /u/Insomniella [link] [comments]
- Let the beta cycle beginby Macweazle Fischer (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 7:46 am
As Apple announced on the WWDC 2022, the public beta for their upcoming operating systems is about to start. While those of us who are…Continue reading on Medium »
- How to Remove Cache From Mac?by Sannan Malik (MacBook on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 7:32 am
One of the most important aspects of your Mac is the cache file. If you want to make your Mac faster, it is important to clean out the…Continue reading on Geek Culture »
- Why Custom Silicon Is The Future Of Techby Sergio Alberto Romero, M.S. (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 7:25 am
Whether we’re talking about Apple’s in house silicon endeavors, Google’s Tensor products or even Samsung’s Exynos lineup of chipsets it’s…Continue reading on Medium »
- Unable to get a video signal with M1 Mac Mini and Alienware AW3423DWby /u/egarcia74 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 7:22 am
Hi guys, I have tried to connect my M1 Mac mini to my Alienware AW3423DW with a USB-C to DisplayPort but I am unable to get a signal. I was somehow under the impression that this should work. I can get a signal via HDMI, but I was curious to try connecting to the monitor's DisplayPort to see if I could get more than 100Hz, which is that I currently get from HDMI. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Thanks in advance you guys! submitted by /u/egarcia74 [link] [comments]
- IMac G4 Helpby /u/MARSRockets (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 7:21 am
I recently acquired a imac at a auction. When I turned it on it goes to a screen with a folder icon blinking and that's it. Im guessing since it was a college computer they wiped the drive before sending it to auction. I have no other apple computers so how can i boot this or acquire that correct boot disks. ¡Mac G4 700 (Flat Panel) Intro. Order Family RAM January 7, 2002 M8672LL/A* iMac Flat Panel 128 MB, 256 MB Storage 40 GB HDD Disc Model ID VRAM Optical Complete iMac G4 700 (Flat Panel) Specs 700 MHz PowerPC 7441 (G4) February 4, 2003 M6498 (EMC 1873) PowerMac4,2 32 MB 10X CD-RW/"Combo"* submitted by /u/MARSRockets [link] [comments]
- 1920x1080p ProMotion on M1 16” Mbpby /u/DUDAKK1 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 7:16 am
Does anyone know an application or tool that allows me to change the screen resolution from 16:10 to 16:9 while being able to run it at 120hz refresh rate? (App preferably free) submitted by /u/DUDAKK1 [link] [comments]
- What’s everyone’s Dream Mac Setupby /u/ando772 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 7:12 am
Sounds Clichè but mine would be the Mac Pro completely Maxed Out. With 2 x dual Monitors submitted by /u/ando772 [link] [comments]
- Apple Watch Logo Blink Issue? Try these steps before you opt for a replacement.by Mohamed Abbas (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 7:00 am
Apple Watch SE Logo Blinking Issue Back in Dec 2020, I myself bought my first Apple watch SE which recently ran into this infinite logo…Continue reading on Medium »
- On the $100 tabletby G.Solis (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 6:03 am
Sometimes, Used is better.Continue reading on Medium »
- Are we reaching Peak Smartphone?by Shakthi Bala (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 5:54 am
Image Credits: bestproducts.com (https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/a14930378/reviews-of-top-rated-smartphones/)Continue reading on Medium »
- M1 Pro MacBook Pro & iPad Air (4th Gen) Battery Health Issueby /u/aadia1234 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 5:42 am
I've got an M1 Pro MacBook Pro and an iPad Air (4th gen). After 7-8 months of usage, my M1 Pro MacBook Pro's battery capacity is 91%, with 72 charge cycles. My iPad Air's battery capacity is now 80% , with 210 charge cycles and 1.5 - 1.75 years of usage. Is this normal or should I go to the apple store and replace the batteries of the MacBook Pro and iPad Air? submitted by /u/aadia1234 [link] [comments]
- Autoclickers for macby /u/DankestGamee (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 5:15 am
i was trying to find free autoclickers for mac but I was worried some had malware and popular ones only worked for android are there any working safe autoclickers for mac submitted by /u/DankestGamee [link] [comments]
- Best Phone Under 15000 Rsby Mujeeb Khan Royalz (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 4:47 am
Best Phone Under 15000 RsContinue reading on Medium »
- MacBook Air 2017 Trackpad glitchingby /u/Puzzlehead08 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 4:39 am
trackpad glitches and when i close the lid and opens it the cursor works fine and after opening the lid sometimes cursor works fine for hours and sometimes it takes few minutes it starts glitching then i have to close the lid and open it again . what is the problem with trackpad ? what should i do to fix this ? submitted by /u/Puzzlehead08 [link] [comments]
- So iPhones don’t seem all that expensive now, you say?by Kostas Farkonas (Apple on Medium) on July 3, 2022 at 4:02 am
Long-term support matters, here’s how it changes things in a smartphone market in declineContinue reading on Geek Culture »
- 2015 MacBook Pro charger light isn’t coming on. Charge level stays the same.by /u/Nipple_Party (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 3:41 am
submitted by /u/Nipple_Party [link] [comments]
- iMac (2021) 7 Core and Fan Noise when gamingby /u/lumpsnmypocket (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 3:33 am
I recently purchased a refurbished iMac 8 Core directly from Apple. I mainly use it for work which is basic email stuff and decided to buy the Sims - which is the only game I own About 5 minutes into gameplay the fan powers on and it goes basically non stop and it’s very loud and annoying. Is this normal for gaming on a new iMac?? It’s so hard finding good info online and a few people have said their iMac with the M1 chip doesn’t make any noise when gaming so I’m worried I got a dud since it was refurbished. Anyone have any good info? Is the 8-Core quieter since it has 2 fans? submitted by /u/lumpsnmypocket [link] [comments]
- The Great Intel iMac Cooling Mysteryby /u/Oscarcharliezulu (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 1:42 am
Intel iMacs have intake slots on the lower edge of the case. But why no outlets along the top or near the top along the back of the case to support some level of passive cooling? https://preview.redd.it/368sxa8sc9991.png?width=859&format=png&auto=webp&s=c7d8fe3d0110443b179d8ee4290070b68145d192 submitted by /u/Oscarcharliezulu [link] [comments]
- M2 MBA configuration pollby /u/FirstCowInSpace2025 (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 1:28 am
Considering getting the MBA on pre order and would like to know what seems more reasonable to get. Use case would be general productivity along with video/photo editing 3-5 times a week for a couple hours working with 1080p/4k files. Will the extra SSD speed gain outweigh the GPU cores? Honestly I think it wont really matter that much as it's still plenty fast when not focusing on benchmarks but want to see what others think. If I have any projects I want to store long term I usually store them on an external ssd anyway so take that as you will. *edit the first option costs 1849 not 1999 View Poll submitted by /u/FirstCowInSpace2025 [link] [comments]
- I am entering IT career next month, which MB will do the work?by /u/PedroRPG (Mac) on July 3, 2022 at 12:01 am
- Does the M1 Mac Mini running on macOS Monterey supports 21:9 (2560 x 1080) at 144hz?by /u/xxDimamante (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 11:48 pm
submitted by /u/xxDimamante [link] [comments]
- Today's local pickup was a bit of a flagship (once upon a time)by /u/SteveGribbin (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 7:25 pm
submitted by /u/SteveGribbin [link] [comments]
- me waiting for the macbook air m2 preorder date to be posted on the apple websiteby /u/Crafty-Difference-88 (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 5:05 pm
submitted by /u/Crafty-Difference-88 [link] [comments]
- Chadby /u/Banana_Eli (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 4:55 pm
submitted by /u/Banana_Eli [link] [comments]
- This Crappy MacBook is Just So Greatby Paul Alvarez (MacBook on Medium) on July 2, 2022 at 2:36 pm
Why I have fallen back in love with this underpowered laptop.Continue reading on Techuisite »
- Looking for a wireless mouse for a MacBook Air M1by /u/KeplerCorvus (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 2:12 pm
So last time I've tried a wireless mouse on an M1 MacBook Air, It was really jittery and laggy, so I'm using a wired one at the moment, which has been very inconvenient. I'm looking for mouses that don't have the same problem, any help would be appreciated. TIA submitted by /u/KeplerCorvus [link] [comments]
- I can't set a wallpaper to be dynamic, any solutions?by /u/jesjes3000 (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 1:03 pm
submitted by /u/jesjes3000 [link] [comments]
- When you perfectly twist around the charger. Usually I end up having to attach it on one of the curvy extremities, which is not ideal. Also ignore how ugly it is, I've had my MacBook for 5 years at this pointby /u/Brilliant999 (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 10:14 am
submitted by /u/Brilliant999 [link] [comments]
- Why are some launchpad icons so big?by /u/agitazione (Mac) on July 2, 2022 at 3:31 am
submitted by /u/agitazione [link] [comments]
- Setting up new Mac (Monterey) for Data Analystby Thongchan Thananate (MacBook on Medium) on July 2, 2022 at 1:39 am
on Macbook Air M1 though, I’m not fancy with M2.Continue reading on Medium »
- Apple made the M2 MacBook Pro only to recycle old laptopsby Sumit Singh (MacBook on Medium) on July 1, 2022 at 8:29 pm
For summary, just read the text in bold.Continue reading on Medium »
- The M2 MacBook Proby Youssef Mohamed (MacBook on Medium) on July 1, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Would NEVER recommend it…Continue reading on Mac O’Clock »
- What do you think of *My* work setup?by /u/BinaryTriggered (Mac) on July 1, 2022 at 7:52 pm
submitted by /u/BinaryTriggered [link] [comments]
- How I Set Up My MacBook Pro As A ML Engineer in 2022by David Chong (MacBook on Medium) on July 1, 2022 at 1:47 pm
A guide to getting your MacBook ready for ML developmentContinue reading on Towards Data Science »
- MACBOOK 傳輸資料 錯誤代碼100006by Kuan Ting (MacBook on Medium) on July 1, 2022 at 3:06 am
解決: 換一個Hub 或者是將現在的Hub 接上外接電源！Continue reading on Medium »
- The Most Common MacBook Question I’m Asked Just Got More Complicatedby Mark Ellis (MacBook on Medium) on June 30, 2022 at 9:30 am
8GB vs 16GB vs 24GB M2 MacBook Air: How to ChooseContinue reading on Mac O’Clock »
- I’m So Tired About People Making A Big Deal About The M2’s ‘Slow’ SSDby Andrew Zuo (MacBook on Medium) on June 29, 2022 at 3:32 pm
So there’s this hubbub about this finding that the 256 GB M2 MacBook Pro has a slower SSD than a 256 GB M1 MacBook Pro. Apparently Apple…Continue reading on Medium »
- Why the Macbook Pro 14' 2021 is the best laptop anyone could buy?by Aravind Senthil V (MacBook on Medium) on June 29, 2022 at 2:51 pm
I love the design of the Macbook Pro 14,’ and I’m now seriously considering it in 2022 to replace my Macbook Air M1. Here’s why! The…Continue reading on Medium »
- WWDC 2022 Discussion Thread - M2 Chip, MacBook Air and macOS Venturaby /u/ChampJamie153 (Mac) on June 6, 2022 at 6:55 pm
The WWDC 2022 event is over. Here's what we got: A redesigned MacBook Air The MacBook Air has been redesigned for the first time since 2018 MacBook Air uses the new M2 chip with 8 CPU cores and up to 10 GPU cores Up to 24GB of memory is supported in the M2 Air, the largest amount in any Air The FaceTime HD camera is now 1080p, and it is located in a notch at the top of the new Liquid Retina display M2 Chip Supports up to 24GB of LPDDR5 memory 8-core CPU and up to 10-core GPU 100GB/s of memory bandwidth Based on second-generation 5 nm technology Updated 13" MacBook Pro The 13" MBP is still here, and it now features the new M2 chip Magic Keyboard and Touch Bar remains in this model making it the last with the Touch Bar Up to 24GB of memory available macOS Ventura The newest version of macOS introduces Stage Manager for grouping windows together System Settings has been improved, and Passkeys are designed to replace passwords on the web Continuity Camera allows your iPhone to be used as a camera for your Mac wirelessly, and Belkin will be introducing mounts to attach your iPhone to your Mac Mail has gotten some improvements including scheduling messages and "Undo Send" FaceTime Handoff allows you to switch from one device to another in the middle of a FaceTime session, and Live Captions have been brought to FaceTime as well submitted by /u/ChampJamie153 [link] [comments]
- r/Mac Discord Serverby /u/Stuttero (Mac) on February 26, 2020 at 8:38 pm
submitted by /u/Stuttero [link] [comments]