How does a database handle pagination?

You can translate the content of this page by selecting a language in the select box.

How does a database handle pagination?

It doesn’t. First, a database is a collection of related data, so I assume you mean DBMS or database language.

Second, pagination is generally a function of the front-end and/or middleware, not the database layer.

But some database languages provide helpful facilities that aide in implementing pagination. For example, many SQL dialects provide LIMIT and OFFSET clauses that can be used to emit up to n rows starting at a given row number. I.e., a “page” of rows. If the query results are sorted via ORDER BY and are generally unchanged between successive invocations, then that can be used to implement pagination.

That may not be the most efficient or effective implementation, though.

So how do you propose pagination should be done?

On context of web apps , let’s say there are 100 mn users. One cannot dump all the users in response.

Cache database query results in the middleware layer using Redis or similar and serve out pages of rows from that.

What if you have 30, 000 rows plus, do you fetch all of that from the database and cache in Redis?

I feel the most efficient solution is still offset and limit. It doesn’t make sense to use a database and then end up putting all of your data in Redis especially data that changes a lot. Redis is not for storing all of your data.

If you have large data set, you should use offset and limit, getting only what is needed from the database into main memory (and maybe caching those in Redis) at any point in time is very efficient.

With 30,000 rows in a table, if offset/limit is the only viable or appropriate restriction, then that’s sometimes the way to go.

More often, there’s a much better way of restricting 30,000 rows via some search criteria that significantly reduces the displayed volume of rows — ideally to a single page or a few pages (which are appropriate to cache in Redis.)

It’s unlikely (though it does happen) that users really want to casually browse 30,000 rows, page by page. More often, they want this one record, or these small number of records.

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution to help you prepare for the AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification Exam, look no further than this AWS Cloud Practitioner CCP CLFC01 book below.

Question: This is a general question that applies to MySQL, Oracle DB or whatever else might be out there.

I know for MySQL there is LIMIT offset,size; and for Oracle there is ‘ROW_NUMBER’ or something like that.

Invest in your future today by enrolling in this Azure Fundamentals - Microsoft Azure Certification and Training ebook below. This Azure Fundamentals Exam Prep Book will prepare you for the Azure Fundamentals AZ900 Certification Exam.

But when such ‘paginated’ queries are called back to back, does the database engine actually do the entire ‘select’ all over again and then retrieve a different subset of results each time? Or does it do the overall fetching of results only once, keeps the results in memory or something, and then serves subsets of results from it for subsequent queries based on offset and size?

If it does the full fetch every time, then it seems quite inefficient.

If it does full fetch only once, it must be ‘storing’ the query somewhere somehow, so that the next time that query comes in, it knows that it has already fetched all the data and just needs to extract next page from it. In that case, how will the database engine handle multiple threads? Two threads executing the same query?

Use this Promo Code RDB9RRU31D12T and Save 30% Off the following eBooks:

Answer: First of all, do not make assumptions in advance whether something will be quick or slow without taking measurements, and complicate the code in advance to download 12 pages at once and cache them because “it seems to me that it will be faster”.

YAGNI principle – the programmer should not add functionality until deemed necessary.
Do it in the simplest way (ordinary pagination of one page), measure how it works on production, if it is slow, then try a different method, if the speed is satisfactory, leave it as it is.

From my own practice – an application that retrieves data from a table containing about 80,000 records, the main table is joined with 4-5 additional lookup tables, the whole query is paginated, about 25-30 records per page, about 2500-3000 pages in total. Database is Oracle 12c, there are indexes on a few columns, queries are generated by Hibernate. Measurements on production system at the server side show that an average time (median – 50% percentile) of retrieving one page is about 300 ms. 95% percentile is less than 800 ms – this means that 95% of requests for retrieving a single page is less that 800ms, when we add a transfer time from the server to the user and a rendering time of about 0.5-1 seconds, the total time is less than 2 seconds. That’s enough, users are happy.

And some theory – see this answer to know what is purpose of Pagination pattern

• Practice SQL Interview Questions on StrataScratch
    by Yuen (Database on Medium) on October 1, 2022 at 8:24 am

sharing SQL learning resources and experience of using StrataScratchContinue reading on Medium »

• MongodDB: BSON Types
    by Rakesh Tripathi (Database on Medium) on October 1, 2022 at 4:32 am

BSON is a binary serialization format used to store documents and make remote procedure calls in MongoDB.Continue reading on Medium »

• Figuring out my Orchard database schema
    by /u/hydroxy (Database) on October 1, 2022 at 1:57 am

I'm creating a database for my orchard to track gardening processes in the database easily e.g. applying fertilizer, pruning trees and taking measurements. There will be quite alot of processes, maybe about 20 in total. All of the processes will share a core of basic information like memberID (who carried out the work), plantID (the plant it was carried out on), and processTimestamp (when it was done). Would it be possible for me to create a system where I could avoid creating 20 separate tables with the core information repeated each time for each individual process and instead use some other method that is less redundant. I am unsure how exactly it could work, perhaps there could be a parent plantProcess table that could store the core fields and then child tables could store more specific information. Though I am unable to figure it out, I would appreciate any help you can offer. submitted by /u/hydroxy [link] [comments]

• Cassandra Database: 3 Ways Cassandra Keeps Data in Sync
    by All About Code (Database on Medium) on October 1, 2022 at 1:35 am

3 Ways Cassandra Keeps Data in SyncContinue reading on Medium »

• [Beginner] JSON to a Database
    by /u/TheDoomfire (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 11:40 pm

I have a pretty nested JSON file that I want to store inside a database. And wonder how I can proceed to do this. As simple as possible just so I can start getting a hang of it. The use of this database is to mainly display charts and do calculations with those numbers. And to only expand this over time. This is one of the JSON files. I don't even have an idea of what type of database I should begin with. It's very overwhelming for me at the moment. Any help is appreciated. submitted by /u/TheDoomfire [link] [comments]

• Transferências mais recentes — 30/09/2022
    by Tudo pelo Futebol (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Últimas Transferencias — 30/09/2022
    by Todo por el Fútbol (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Latest Transfers — 09/30/2022
    by Everything for Football (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Últimos Jogadores Atualizados — 30/09/2022
    by Tudo pelo Futebol (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Últimos Jugadores Actualizados — 30/09/2022
    by Todo por el Fútbol (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Last Updated Players — 09/30/2022
    by Everything for Football (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Continue reading on Medium »

• Question(s) for the hive mind!
    by /u/seanner_vt2 (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Discussing with a coworker today that we have weekly safety topics and a sign in sheet. She was asking if this could be moved to an online thing. ​ Wouldn't be too hard to create if this were the only office but: We have offices in several states We have people in the field who's office is their hotel room We have a lot of non-technical folks both in the field and in the offices ​ Suggestions on how I could set this up, perhaps on an rPi? Or should it be on something like a survey site such as survey monkey? Or something like Mongo online? ​ Need to restrict access to the user. A lot of these people would hand their coworker their login if its just a PIN. Need to be able to add new people quickly and easily Need to remove those who have left the company Need to suspend those on seasonal leave/layoff Reports for supervisors and SLT We do not have a safety manager (should I know but...) submitted by /u/seanner_vt2 [link] [comments]

• tweets database
    by /u/chhhhristian (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 3:05 pm

I want to create a database with tweets from famous people. The database should contain name of person, Twitter handle, Twitter followers, the actual tweets written by the person, the likes and shares for each tweet. Does anyone know of a database or a website that might store some of this information.? Anything is much appreciated, I'll just create the database little by little. I know it's possible to scrape Twitter but not for the volume I want. submitted by /u/chhhhristian [link] [comments]

• Mongock: Ferramenta para migração de dados Mongo e Java/Kotlin
    by Erick Giorgio (Database on Medium) on September 30, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Mongock é uma ferramenta de migração baseada em Java como parte do código do seu aplicativo para ambientes distribuídos.Continue reading on Medium »

• end-user friendly CRUD interface?
    by /u/TheOnlyDarkSoul (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Anyone know of simple database management tool that is (or can be made) end-user friendly? I'm looking for a way to let business add, edit and remove records from our database tables in such a way that they don't need to worry about the technicalities of primary and foreign keys, for example. Ideally, the (UUID) primary keys would be hidden in the UI and instead of the foreign keys, the UI would display the value of some other column from the target record. Choosing the "foreign key'' when adding or editing records would ideally be done using a modal of the other table or maybe a dropdown menu of some kind. It looks like adminer-editor would fit the bill, but I can't get my head around how to set it up in a docker container and the documentation is a bit lacking. submitted by /u/TheOnlyDarkSoul [link] [comments]

• How to retained history in graph databases for auditing?
    by /u/meekaa_saangoo (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 10:44 am

If I use graph database as the main DB, then what are the best practices for maintaining history for auditing? submitted by /u/meekaa_saangoo [link] [comments]

• Android/iOS app which scans QRcodes and searches online database?
    by /u/_ReeX_ (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 9:04 am

We're looking for an Android/iOs app which can scan QRcodes and search on a cloud database if the QR code is valid. Ideally, but not required, the database should support importing rows from a CSV which then would be paired to a QRcode.... Simple as that Any hint? submitted by /u/_ReeX_ [link] [comments]

• COPY parquet file
    by /u/Queen_Girl_Sophie (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 8:14 am

Hi, I've got a postgres database and 30 parquet files which I want to import. I know that postgres has a copy function with text,csv and binary formats. I was wondering if I could use the copy function on parquet files, and if not if there is any other way to do this efficiently. submitted by /u/Queen_Girl_Sophie [link] [comments]

• Protecting database against ransomware?
    by /u/Glad_Living3908 (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 7:44 am

Came across this blog (https://blog.criminalip.io/2022/09/23/lockbit-3-0-ransomware/) - It says to use VirusTotal to verify these suspicious files and check whether or not they're safe. What else can we do to ensure complete safety and protection of our database so that it doesn't get exploited? submitted by /u/Glad_Living3908 [link] [comments]

• sequential numbers for a primary key?
    by /u/chopsui101 (Database) on September 30, 2022 at 3:15 am

I have a large data set that I am needing to assign a primary key to. The problem is there are no unique identifiers in the data set. Its currently in an excel file. Would the best option be to add a sequential numbered column and use that as the primary key or is there a better way? submitted by /u/chopsui101 [link] [comments]

• question about association tables
    by /u/jonnycross10 (Database) on September 29, 2022 at 2:22 am

I created an association table with 2 foreign keys and the primary key is a composite key of the two foreign keys. Should i be able to insert data into my association table before i have data in my other tables that these foreign keys reference? I don't think you can insert data into a foreign key field if that value isn't in the referenced database, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for your help submitted by /u/jonnycross10 [link] [comments]

• How do I get my data into my database?
    by /u/viper_87 (Database) on September 28, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Ok, here's the rundown, I have a basic web application on my website that uses html input elements to auto calculate your yahtzee game score. I have a postgresql database setup through aws rds. I want to add a "save game" button on my website that will take the current values of the inputs and save them for people in the database so they can access it later. So, how do I get the information collected from my website to the database? submitted by /u/viper_87 [link] [comments]

• Are these tables normalized upto the 3rd normal form
    by /u/No_Hurry1851 (Database) on September 28, 2022 at 7:39 pm

submitted by /u/No_Hurry1851 [link] [comments]

• What advice would you give to someone who's about to embark on a legacy database migration project?
    by /u/yourbasicgeek (Database) on September 28, 2022 at 12:07 am

Think of this as "tales of the lost," if you like. I'm writing a blog post that aims to share real-world wisdom about what's involved in a legacy database migration. If we do this right, we'll curate advice that can help save someone else the pain you went through -- or help them do the things that worked out well. Maybe it'll come out as "7 things you should know before you start a legacy database migration." Let's find out. The key bit: What advice would you give to someone who's about to embark on a legacy database migration? ..and why is THAT the advice you offer? ​ Now, tell me your story: What was the project? What did you expect to happen... and what actually did? That is, what did you think would be hard... and was it? What did you learn from the experience? What were you proud of? What do you never want to experience again? ​ Besides, this is an opportunity for schadenfreude. Indulge yourself. ​ (Yes, I know "legacy" is in the eye of the beholder. YOU decide where to draw the line.) submitted by /u/yourbasicgeek [link] [comments]

• how to draw an ER diagram for this?
    by /u/No_Hurry1851 (Database) on September 27, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Please help!!! I need help with drawing this ER. I don't know where to put the attributes when a member makes a card payment instead of a cash payment. The question and the ER that I drew are attached below. Thanks in advance. this is the question and it says when the members pay for the books using credit/debit cards it should store some more information ​ this is the ER diagram that I drew but i cant figure out where to put the attributes which should be recorder if the members use card payments (card no, name, expiry date, type) submitted by /u/No_Hurry1851 [link] [comments]

• Trying to create a database for IT equipment for my org. Trouble understanding which attributes need to go in my entities' tables.
    by /u/NarwhalsareHAWT (Database) on September 26, 2022 at 4:23 pm

I'm new to creating databases but wanted to try and create a database to track IT equipment. An issue I'm having is determining if an attribute should go within an entity's table or if it's redundant and unnecessary or if it should have more entities within my database. The goal of my database is to be able to track the IT equipment and its details, the location of the equipment, and the employee the IT equipment belongs to. My company also has a yearly event where employees bring IT equipment in Pelican cases. So, I'd like to track the location of where the pelican/IT equipment may be going during the event. I attached a screenshot of the relationships I have so far in Access. I don't know if the attributes are unnecessarily redundant or if the relationships are correct. Any guidance would be much appreciated. https://imgur.com/QosnTLt submitted by /u/NarwhalsareHAWT [link] [comments]

• Need a Portable Database With GUI
    by /u/Industry-Regular (Database) on September 24, 2022 at 9:34 am

Hello, I am not a software developer. I dont know any coding. I am only a computer user. I can use office tools fine. But I need a DB. I have an excel list. But I need more detailed statistics. I cannot add multiple record in single cell at excel for example. Such as: book name + author name1, author name2, page count this is one line in excel, when i want a detailed author statistics, excel count the author record as a single record. this is just an example. ​ So I want to transfer my excel list to a db. It should have a gui like microsoft access but I need a portable solution because in my office our computers does not have access. I want to run it in a stick. In other sub, someone recommended sqlite browserdb but I could not find a way to add multiple data in single cell and create a input form like access. ​ Any recommendations? submitted by /u/Industry-Regular [link] [comments]

• PgAdmin 4's ERD Tool doesn't have 1:1 One-to-One Relationship?
    by /u/cybernetics_engineer (Database) on September 24, 2022 at 1:59 am

PgAdmin 4's ERD Tool is good for the most part, although adding FK is kind of a pain. Too many clicks. I looked over docs and doesn't seem like there is a way to specify 1:1 to relationship. All FK default to 1: N. And also can't seem to change orientation of lines either. I have mixed feelings about the autoalign. Wish I could also box around some of the tables to categorize for easy scanning. ERD can easily get out of hand without boxing around. Was using draw.io, but the lag was very bad. Am I missing something in the docs? submitted by /u/cybernetics_engineer [link] [comments]

• Postisco, recommend it?
    by /u/jiii95 (Database) on September 23, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Hi, I am a mac user. I have set the postgres app on my mac, and I am looking for a full-feature including ER Diagrams, intuitive, M1 native, and not consuming much of RAM. I have narrowed it down to two apps: Postico and TablePlus (this one doesn't include er diagram), do you have something else in mind? Also, is Postico M1 native? submitted by /u/jiii95 [link] [comments]

• SuperType/SubType always 1:1 Relationship?
    by /u/cybernetics_engineer (Database) on September 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm

SuperType Product id PK SubType Good product_id PKFK references Product.id weight SubType Service product_id PKFK references Product.id hours Are supertype/subtype relationships always 1:1, because the Subtype is an instance of the supertype? the subtype PK is unique so it must always be 1:1? But then if I think of this example, it makes sense to say a country can have many postal codes. Or is this not a true super/subtype relationship? SuperType Country id PK SubType Postal_Code country_id PKFK references Country.id SubType State country_id PKFK references Country.id submitted by /u/cybernetics_engineer [link] [comments]

• What is "good design" in an ER model?
    by /u/DiscountWHM (Database) on September 23, 2022 at 4:02 pm

I'm having a bit of communication breakdown with my instructor in trying to understand what actually defines "good logical design" in an ER model. We were asked to make a conceptual model of a fictional problem but everytime I rearrange it he'll suggest where he might move the entities but I'm struggling to get a direct answer for what design principal should be guiding us in our layout or entities and relationships. Do I care about good visual flow, or is it more about the logical flow of events from these entity relationships? He also mentioned needing a "start point." Is the starting entity where the entire process originates from? ​ Edit: Also, is it ok for relationship lines to cross over one another if nessecary? I was originally avoiding that assuming it was bad practice. submitted by /u/DiscountWHM [link] [comments]

• How hard would it be to make a data warehouse for final year project?
    by /u/RHSiuolF (Database) on September 22, 2022 at 4:41 pm

Just starting my final year of university where I get to choose a project and one of the ones offered by staff is to build a data warehouse for my uni which seems interesting. I was wondering how hard this would be to do as I only have basic sql knowledge down but will have 7.5 months to work on this while also doing another module on big data & data mining? submitted by /u/RHSiuolF [link] [comments]

• Fast ClickHouse queries in a Managed Solution
    by /u/ageje (Database) on September 22, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Here is Mark's blog post comparing of some of the data warehouses. He has recently reviewed DoubleCloud's managed ClickHouse offering: 1.1 Billion Taxi Rides in ClickHouse on DoubleCloud submitted by /u/ageje [link] [comments]

• How do I make my hobby tier database on Hasura "production ready"?
    by /u/lorenzomofo (Database) on September 22, 2022 at 4:14 pm

I used the free tier on Hasura (Hasura Cloud) where they spin up a free database on Heroku for me. I have my tables and columns setup and have tested it with real data and my website can read and write the data through the Hasura GraphQL endpoints correctly. Now I want to put my website in production and get users to sign up for real. What do I need to do with Hasura (and Heroku) to make the backend production ready? I figure I can easily upgrade to the paid tier with Hasura but do I need to do anything with Heroku? submitted by /u/lorenzomofo [link] [comments]

• Should i add seller inside costumer entity?
    by /u/Andmau00 (Database) on September 22, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Im trying to figure out how to enter a customer that can sell products in my online shopping page. Should i made another entity called "seller" or should i add it as an atribute on the customer entity. Thanks in advance for any advice! ​ https://preview.redd.it/r0ssaes8lfp91.png?width=1248&format=png&auto=webp&s=34c00d3f0b85cc704b5a0635283f1d1e9a5df667 submitted by /u/Andmau00 [link] [comments]

Read Photos and PDFs Aloud for me iOS
Read Photos and PDFs Aloud for me android
Read Photos and PDFs Aloud For me Windows 10/11
Read Photos and PDFs Aloud For Amazon

My favorite tool for creating blog content about tiny topics is the Jasper AI blog writer.

Get 20% off Google Workspace (Google Meet)  Business Plan (AMERICAS): M9HNXHX3WC9H7YE (Email us for more)

Get 20% off Google Google Workspace (Google Meet) Standard Plan with  the following codes:  96DRHDRA9J7GTN6 (Email us for more))

We know you like Sports and Geeky things, We do too, but you should build the skills that’ll drive your career into six figures. Cloud skills and certifications can be just the thing you need to make the move into cloud or to level up and advance your career. 85% of hiring managers say cloud certifications make a candidate more attractive.

Download the Djamga App for ios or android or Microsoft for drop in soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, football, hockey, cricket games details and location in your city.

FREE 10000+ Quiz Trivia and and Brain Teasers for All Topics including Cloud Computing, General Knowledge, History, Television, Music, Art, Science, Movies, Films, US History, Soccer Football, World Cup, Data Science, Machine Learning, Geography, etc....

taimienphi.vn